Friday, January 18, 2008

I Get It Now

The title of the previous post was actually a little premature. Now I can say that I am officially in recovery. After I took the entire prescription, the rash got worse. I don't know if my body rejected it or if I'm allergic to prednisone or what, but it got worse rather than better. Since then I ordered some stuff online that is supposed to eradicate the condition. I noticed today that most of the ones of my arms, face, and some of the ones on my stomach are beginning to dry up. Maybe a couple more weeks and I'll be back to normal. At least I'm hoping it won't be much longer than that. I can't help but wonder if God is communicating something to me through this. You know how they say everything happens for a reason? Well maybe He needed to slow me down so that I would reassess some things in my life. I will hasten to say that it has worked. I get it. I need to do better in my personal, professional and spiritual lives. I've vowed to do some things differently. For one, I'm really going to work on forgiving that man my mother claims is my father. In addition, I'm taking a step back when it comes to offering (unsolicited) advice to friends/colleagues. Only at someone's behest will I put my mouth on their situation/issue. This is particularly challenging for me because when someone comes to me with a problem (or something that I perceive to be a problem) I instinctively go into fix it mode. This little bump in the road (no pun intended) has forced me to pray much more and seek God more closely. I've known for quite some time that my spiritual life was grossly off kilter, but I was complacent in what I was doing--half going to church, not praying or reading the Bible, not consulting Him for guidance and direction. I know better and this has made me remember my roots because for the issue I'm experiencing, there really is not another being on whom I can rely save and except for Him. I get it now. I'm listening.

Listening to Sam Cooke's "A Change Is Gonna Come"

6 comments:

Dave Van Buren said...

Man I hope you feel better, I had a camera shoved up the other end for a kidney stone back in high school, that was an uncomfortable experience. I don't think I'm ready for a Colon procedure thought.

Thanks for swinging past.

Minerva Exertion said...

I hope you feel better too. I had the colon stuff done a year ago. It didn't feel right.

I know G'boro got plenty of snow today. Too bad it wasn't during the week.

Thanks for dropping by. Come back anytime.

Anonymous said...

Forgiveness is a hard task but when you put your faith in God he will fix the the situation. There will be a burden lifted from your shoulder. It feels so good. Its known as peace that passes all understanding. Don't stop giving advice because people need Godly advice. Just put God into the equation. I love you and I do miss hanging out with you. I never read your blog often in the pass but I look forward to reading your blog. I just want to le you know I'm here and I'll always be here. I glad your taking the first step with your Dad that awesome. Look at Luke 6:36.

Anonymous said...

Forgiveness is a hard task but when you put your faith in God he will fix the situation. There will be a burden lifted from your shoulder. It feels so good. Its known as peace that passes all understanding. Don't stop giving advice because people need Godly advice. Just put God into the equation. I love you and I do miss hanging out with you. I never read your blog often in the pass but, I look forward to reading your blog. I just want to let you know I'm here and I'll always be here. I glad your taking the first step with your Dad that awesome. Look at Luke 6:36 until the end of the chapter.

cadence said...

The Lord works in mysterious ways. I have known you for a long time and I know that you are a good person who fears the Lord. However, we all fall short at times. Your recent postings have illustrated that what matters is that we work on becoming more like Him.

Very good, my friend…Forgive him*, just as God has forgiven you. That is our duty. Your second mom is right. You won't be judged on how he* treated you, but rather on how you treated him*.

I second Gina's motion for you to keep offering advice. I have always welcomed your advice. If you are concerned about offending someone, you should begin by asking if they don't mind you offering advice. Most people who voice their issues don't do it just for the sake of pontificating. It's usually because they are seeking advice.

CHA CHA said...

I pray that you feel better..I really dig your writing style brother...take care, I will be back