Saturday, April 12, 2008

Untitled

Only three others share this secret, our friends the Sorceress, Man-At-Arms and Orko. Together we defend Castle Grayskull from the evil forces of---oh wait, I just had a HeMan flashback. Seriously though not a lot of people know what I'm about to share. It is our life experiences, environment and level of exposure to sundry things that shape who we are, influence how we behave, and provide a framework from which to draw expressions used in common vernacular. One of my expressions is "I don't hook for free." Let's examine where that came from.

************************


Lisa was my skinny aunt who was maybe fifteen or sixteen at the time. I was roughly five or six. I wish I had some baby pictures on hand from that age. I was so cute! Anyway, not the point of the story. Actually Lisa wasn't really my blood aunt. She was my grandfather's adopted daughter. Rumor had it that she was actually another man's child but he adopted her anyway. My grandfather and Lisa's mother had three other daughters together, but Lisa was always rumored to the illegitimate child of Deloris, Lisa's and my other aunts' mom. Everybody engaged her like they did everyone else because for sure the four girls were sisters even if her paternity was in question.

We stayed in a small town in southeast Georgia. The population was 702 at the 2000 U.S. Census. That small. There was a set of railroad tracks that separated the "sides" of town. My granddaddy's property was about 2.5 acres and had two houses on it. We lived in one house and he lived in the other one. Since the houses were only yards apart sometimes we ate dinner at either house. It was not uncommon for my mom to cook at our house and then walk down and cook at my grandfather's house. Mind you, he had four daughters living with him, but my mom would still cook over there sometimes. He was particularly fond of her potato salad and pig feet. Yeah, that kinda country.

I don't remember exactly when it happened, but it happened over a period of time. When I would come inside from being outside playing or when Lisa would come outside to get me from playing we'd go "make up granddaddy's bed." That was the name assigned to the deed. What it really meant was we were going to go in granddaddy's bedroom and hunch, at first. Then it progressed to me having to take off my clothes and attempt to penetrate her. She guided me though the process of how to "make a woman feel good." What a foolish proposition to think that a 5-6 year old boy could make a teenager, much less a woman, feel anything.

I knew absolutely nothing about any of the other mechanics necessary to engage in copulation. I can remember her becoming annoyed when it would slip out and she'd have to put it back in. The realism is that you can see how that could happen at 5-6 years old. If I didn't seem into it she also become annoyed. I knew what we were doing was wrong, but I was young.

It didn't always just happen when we were home alone. Sometimes my grandfather would be in the front room asleep. He slept so hard because he worked at a factory and did hard labor. She would usually put the night stand in front of the door to prevent anyone from barging in on us. After a while I began to tell her that I didn't want to do that anymore. Each subsequent time she would tell me that it would be the last time and that she was going to buy me some Ruffles Sour Cream and Cheddar potato chips and a Sprite. These happen to be some of my favorite junk food snacks even now. She even told me that my younger brothers didn't mind making up granddaddy's bed with her and that she had already bought them their chips and soda. In my ignorance I reluctantly agreed to continue with hopes of securing my prize for my obedience.

Like Chinua Achebe entitled one of his books, "Things Fall Apart." We had no reasons to expect anything to go wrong because we had gotten away with it for so long. Notice the pronoun shift. Even though I was young, I knew this was wrong. I did not try to stop it. I could have told my parents, yet I let it persist. The last time it happened my mother came down the hall pushed the door slightly, felt the resistance of the night stand, but was able to peer into the room and see what was going on. I know she got a full eye view because I would see her eyes through the crack. I was scared and nervous as hell, because I knew this wasn't going to be pretty. I'll skip the details on the fall out but I'll say it included a belt, a knife, some blisters and closer monitoring.

To top it all off I still didn't get my chips and soda. When people ask me to do something and I remark, "I don't hook for free," this is where that saying came from. I don't like to be taken advantage of. I like to know what you're going to be able to do for me before I put myself out. Some people might think this extremely crude that I would make light of this situation. To the contrary, I just can't profit anything from dwelling on the past. I allowed myself to be abused for the promise of some goods in return. That's pretty much was hooking/prostitution is. I remember the first time I said it to my supervisor when I agreed to be chair of the leadership team. She was looking at me like she had no clue what I was talking about. For a brief moment I thought I had gone too far, but after I asked her if I was going to get an extended contract, she came back (she looked out of it for a second) and told me yes. I mean, the situation is different because I was a child, but it's pretty much the same. I don't have any hard feelings toward her and I think I'm pretty well adjusted. Prior to reading this, would you have ever guessed?

The subject of child molestation, especially among black families is taboo, but happens so much more often that most care to think about or admit.

Off the subject, but what is it about saying, "This shouldn't leave this room," or "Don't tell anybody," that makes people just run and tell whatever you asked them to not tell? I know that usually when people say that to me, I interpret it as only tell the one person who you always tell stuff. Sometimes though depending on the seriousness of the issue it really means don't tell anyone at all. A situation happened this past week on the job when we were in a meeting and asked to not divulge what had been discussed. It got out and I had people coming up to me on Friday asking about what was said at the meeting--including the building principal. Why can't people keep their mouths closed?

29 comments:

mp1 said...

Nah, man i would not have guessed that. And you're right...that is quite taboo. Growing up, I didn't believe that type of stuff really happened (at least to people who look like me). It was either on the news or tv, movies, etc... I never really paid it much attention. But with my own seed in this world, i've got to be more watchful.

Brittany said...

OMG! You are brave for putting this out there like that.
This issue I agree is taboo in the African American community. Have you read Finding Fish?

One Man’s Opinion said...

Still didn't get your chips and soda. I bet your ass is still waiting on them too. LOL.
Seriously though, this is a disturbing story. How very said. I try to tell my little sister about this kind of crap when it relates to my little nephew. Last Sunday, I took off and my family had B-B-que and we played Uno and Spades. When this guy, in his forties, came over to visit one of my sister's friends. We sat down for a hand of spades. He was a manly enough brother but I didn't like him. Something about his cockiness set my teeth on edge. Anyway, while we are playing cards my nephew came and to play the drums (with his annoying little ass). The guy just went on and on about how handsome and goodlooking my little nephew was. Who does that crap? Then, when he was getting ready to leave, he keep running his big ass hands through my nephew's hair. I don't know why that crapped bothered me, but it did. I keep a trained eye on this brother until he left my mom's house. I already know that I never want my nephew to be left alone with the brother, I don't care how "straight" he is. It is the straight men that molest, damn it. I know that I probably over-reacted and am over protective of my nephew. However, the reality is that child molestation happens and more time than not with someone that your child knows and feels comfortable with. I hate when the teenage boys are always caring my nephew too. Once again, who does that? The boy can walk. Put him down! And trust me, that little bastard is not light.

Since we are sharing, maybe I will get up the nerve to tell the story about how I was almost kidnapped by a white man, when I was in the second grade. It still bothers me when I think about it.

How did this comment become about me? Brittany is right, you are brave to put this out in the open like this, but I bet it felt good to get it off your chest.

JayBee said...

@mp1: yeah, you definitely have a responsibility to be vigilant. and what i've described is probably mild in comparison to some people's experiences. i met many people in college, both male and female, who had shared the same fate.

@brittany: there's value in being honest and transparent. i have nothing to gain or lose. i've never read the book. i'll look it up and if the synopsis sounds good i'll pick it up. i take it you've read it. what's the most poignant idea expressed in the book?

@one_man: not even til this day. if i ever see her at a family reunion, that's the first question i'm going to ask. i would characterize mr. feel him up's behavior as a little strange, so i think you are wise to exercise caution. i think you're wildin' bout the teenagers though, but hey who knows? yeah, post the story about the attempted kidnapping.

Mizrepresent said...

Wow, this saddened me, and yet i have my own tales, and so i know from which you speak. My first encounter was with a neighbor, a gurl, a teen, and the next took place with another neighbor, a male, an adult, then a cousin, a male...it never seemed to stop, until i realized that it was so wrong, and yet none of my folks know a thing, because i never disclosed it. No one ever caught them in the deed, no one ever chastised me, and still i wonder how much this may affected me in the long run...i had a time in my life where my behavior may have seemed deviant, i even thought that i knew how to please men, more then anyone because i had learned it at an early age...though neither were guilty of taking my virginity, both stole my innocence, so i am more careful with my children, nieces and nephews, i watch for the signs of something going on out of the ordinary...i talk with them more frequently now than ever...hoping i can shed some light, can be a beacon, can perhaps save them from this. I don't know what else to say Jaybee, except to say, you are a survivor, and i know you will make the best of it.

One Man’s Opinion said...

I might be wilding, but in all honesty...What teenage boy wants to carry around a 2 almost three year old kid, that isn't related to him? Seriously.....

JayBee said...

@miz:it never seemed to stop, until i realized that it was so wrong,
i'd be interested to know what changed and what you did/said to make it stop. email me. i've got some other questions too. i feel you on the innocence lost. we both are survivors--stronger, wiser, better, so much better.

cherry's kid said...

Jaybee, I applaud you for talking about this subject!!!! *me standing and applauding loudly with a tear* I've never told anyone on Blogger but I'm a Child Protective Services Investigator...I chose this job for 2 reasons:
1 - although the subject is taboo in the AA Family, it happens, and I'm proof of it
2 - kids need someone to protect them!
So everyday I wake and I save kids and their innocence!

Chris said...

Man...one of the rare times in life I'm speechless. You are a brave one for speaking on this.

JayBee said...

@cherry: your job is very noble. i'm sure you catch a lot of flack though from people who are not doing what they are supposed to do. i used to want a part time job as a child support investigator/enforcer. i'm honored that you shared that piece of your story with me.

@chris: the more people talk about stuff that happens, the less of a stigma it has. when i say it's a whole lot more common than you think, it really is. just look at the previous comments as evidence. in this small SRS 3/7 (including myself) have admitted to it. we have to assume that the sample is at least 10 times smaller than the population (all black adults). therefore, the population parameter has to be close to the sample statistic. i will confess, though that this sample isn't exactly random.

One Man’s Opinion said...

Do you ever feel the double standard, JB? I mean, let's face it. When I got looses his virginity to an older woman, they are considered to be lucky, or a stud. Where as, a girl placed in the same situation is found to be a victim. Both people are victims, but for some reason I feel as if boys get the short end of the stick when it comes to these matters.

MP said...

Thank you blogging on this. You ability to be transparent amazes me. There are many things I want to blog about but I guess I haven't because I haven't dealt with them yet. I"m the queen of suppression.

You are in a better place than most. Because this subject is so taboo in black society its prevalence can only be speculated. Thank you got opening eyes.

JNez said...

dude i'm loving your honesty here. I share similar stories in my blog: www.thirtydaes.com. I'd love for you to stop by sometime. kudos for putting this out there brother!

JayBee said...

@one_man: not really cause it's not something that i typically discuss. i do understand what you're saying though. if you lined me up next to a bunch of females with their stories, people would probably pay much less attention to me than to them.

@mp: i've mentioned one of my mantras on here before (i believe that there is value in being honest and transparent), because i think it's true. some things in our past can control us until we give voice to the issue. until you can talk about it, it has power over you. i'm hoping you'll soon be able to confront the things that have held you bound.

@thirty: *extends hand for handshake* welcome. i'll definitely come by your spot and check you out. someone famous once said we're all more alike than we are different.

Jazzy said...

Wow James. I guess I'm shocked but mostly I think I'm shocked because of the way the post started off. I was so not expecting the turn your story took.

"They" say that molestors are usually family friends, family members, people you trust...they don't all look like some creepy guy in your neighborhood, but I'm still shocked that your aunt would do such a thing.

"I allowed myself to be abused for the promise of some goods in return."

You were a child and you were forced to do something you didn't even understand. You didn't allow it to happen. You were clearly manipulated.

Like Britt, this reminds me of Finding Fish...excellent book and movie by the way.

JayBee said...

@diva: i'm curious. what's shocking about it being an aunt? i wonder if it's because of that double standard thing that one_man referenced. i googled the title and found out it's by antoine fisher. i've seen the movie and it is one of my favorites. it's rare that i actually purchase a movie and i have it in my meager collection.

Ladynay said...

I can't wrap my head around anyone who would want the goodies of a 5/6year old besides another 5/6 year old. Even then, getting the goodies at that age is kissing with maybe some dry humping with the clothes on if they even know about that!

Thanks for sharing, most people don't.

Don said...

real talk.

i appluad you for it. not many people will ever talk about it. i haven't experienced it first hand but my older sister had an ep like this with the boyfriend of an aunt in milwaukee, and lo' and behold my aunt took her boyfriends' side. my sister was 9. i was 7. but yeah i too think it happens in at least every family.

JayBee said...

@ladynay: in her defense i was pretty cute. don't mind sharing cause it might help somebody else.

@don: how did your mom/dad or whomever respond to the aunt who sided with the boyfrined?

Don said...

@ jay: oh, my mom and dad didn't raise us. matter of fact they lived in a completely different state.

my mom's sister raised us. you know to be honest i don't even think my mom knew, until years later (dad died, mom decided to raise us). the level of animosity between my sister and my mom was @ an all-time high that it couldn't be discussed in a civilized setting.

my sister never recovered from that episode. almost makes me tear up thinking about how she never was the same little girl after that.

JayBee said...

@don: um, sounds like a back story that i need to fish out the archives of your blog. did she do any counseling?

The Jaded NYer said...

OMG- what a way to be introduced to your blog...

Sorry this happened to you, but I'm glad you were able to overcome it.

I think this sort of stuff is taboo in every family; no one wants to admit that blood relatives can be that way when, in my opinion, blood relatives are sometimes the ones that will do you dirtier than a stranger!

Don said...

@ jaybee: oh, i would never write about that. man, my sister has been on drugs since i can't even remember. you know. i just try not to think about the sister NOW opposed to my best friend THEN.

i don't know if that rape played a part or not. or whether "no one cared" played a part in the troubles that sista has seen in life. she ended up in counseling during her high school years, but i don't know if she spoke on that episode or not.

JayBee said...

@jaded: *opens the door for you to enter* welcome. i'll be stopping by your spot to check you out. so true what you said about family--sometimes they'll be the ones.

@don: i don't know how i'd handle it if someone close to me was strung out. i can't imagine.

Blah Blah Blah said...

Thanks for sharing.

I can't comprehend why an adult would sexually touch a child...it just doesn't register.

CHA CHA said...

WOW JayBee,…my mouth is still open of the fact that your “aunt” a teenager for chrissake molested you repeatedly. I used to hunch with my cousin all the time but we were a ½ year apart and we were not blood. His sister was my first cousin they had different dads. I really can not get over the fact that your “aunt” could be so desperate to bag a 6 year old. I need to go and check and I guess have a little talk with my son who is 7. That shyt is scary and not to be overlooked. Have you ever talked to her about it again, did she ever apologize?

JayBee said...

@blah: stranger things have happened.

@still: yeah you gotta have that talk. you shouldn't be paranoid but definitely vigillant. we basically haven't spoke since that time. so no, no apology has been issued. to be honest, i don't even need it. i already have the closure that i needed.

Jameil said...

"I interpret it as only tell the one person who you always tell stuff." i do that, too!!

have you talked to the chick since or told your family about it? i guess you didn't get into the fall out but molestation sets me on edge like nearly nothing else.

JayBee said...

@jameil: naw, we haven't spoken. the family moved and we lost touch. haven't seen her at any family reunions or anything like that. heard she was strung out on crack.