Friday, April 18, 2008

Yesterday

In case you haven't heard, there was another celebrity sighting last night at the Copelands in Buckhead. You must not watch the news. JayBee was in the place last night! The media frenzy was unreal. No one was taking photos of me walking into the spot, but once I got on the inside the camera flashes didn't stop. Damned paparazzi! I was famished because I went to work and then drove to the area without eating or drinking anything. If any of the ATL area bloggers were in the area don't feel cheated. You wouldn't have been able to get in. The crowd swelled after I got there. Maybe some other time.

Here's where a part of the celebrity treatment falls apart. They took forever and a day to come and take my order. I was seated in the bar area but not at the counter facing away from the bar. The dude behind the bar straight acted like he was super busy. Finally I had to pull someone and tell them my I-just-drove-300+-miles-story so that someone would come over and hopefully expedite this whole thing. After all, I didn't want to have to keep taking pictures or sign any more damned autographs.

It so happens that this guy named Antwan hosts a networking event at this spot every Thursday for black professionals. Before I found out what was going on, I couldn't figure it out. I was observant. I noticed people carrying gift bags. I noticed women and men approaching the dude in charge and exchanging greetings. I saw a woman with upholstery swatches or maybe they were curtain fabric or something. I was thinking that maybe someone was getting married and buying a home and they called together some vendors to help them make their selections. I was way off.Anyway when curiosity got the best of me I asked a lady who was seated a couple of chairs down from me. She filled me in on all the details and introduced me to the dude in charge. I didn't even ask for all that, but there's nothing like that southern hospitality.

At some point after I finally began to replenish my strength with some sustenance, I was joined at the bar by this dark skinned cutie. Definitely fit the profile, with long hair to boot. We talked about why she was in town and why I was in town, about her irresponsible behavior son and a host of other things. We probably chatted for about two hours in between she and I both taking calls on our phones. I enjoyed the conversation but wasn't pressed so as I was preparing to leave I casually mentioned that maybe she and I would run into each other again at this event, since we're both planning a move in the summer. She didn't seem receptive to that. I guess because she felt like it was too risky to leave it to chance, so she asked me for my number. Is this standard practice? I'm still not 100% over the way things went down with her, so I'm not really "on the scene", but I didn't know women were asking dudes for their number--especially an attractive woman who I'm positive could have a slew of dudes.

20 comments:

MP said...

Good for her asking for ur number! She knows what she likes and doesnt want to leave getting it to chance. Now you relax and let her woo you! LoL

Jazzy said...

LOL...you were in Atl. The ratio of women to men is completely off balance and that prompts women to be aggressive.

You were killing me with talk of your "celebrity treatment"! LOL!

I'm curious though...instead of saying you'll hopefully see her at the event and before she asked for your number...why didnt YOU ask HER for her number or offer to give her yours?

JayBee said...

@mp: will do!

@diva: didn't wanna seem pressed and there's so much uncertainty. she might not even be moving to the area for real. i actually am cause i ain't no b.s. btw...in my little world sometimes i really do think i'm a celebrity. it doesn't hurt that people are nice to me when i go out in public, like free food and occassional hook ups and stuff. yesterday when the guy who was hosting the event introduced himself, he invited me to partake without paying the cover.

Jazzy said...

In your little world huh? Ok Mr. Walter Mitty!

Anonymous said...

Wow... I really haven't been on the dating scene in a long time, but as far as I know, women have gotten bolder. I'm sure she was jus struck by you, and wanted to insure she'd see/speak with you again. Thats a great compliment to thr type of first impression you gave her. You should be flattered, and reciprocate some interest (if you have any in her) once she calls you. Who knows what could come of this...

mp1 said...

I guess when you're a celebrity women do things like that, especially when panties drop simply from you walking in the room (as you stated in an earlier post). lol

cherry's kid said...

Ok Jaybee, yes 'us women on the scene' we asks for numbers now!!! I ask for numbers all the time...If you have to ask me for your number that means I'm not interested cause the number I'm giving you is my work cell and I don't have to answer it!!!! LOL!!!!

Mizrepresent said...

Sometimes women ask for the number so we won't have to worry about a man ringing our phone off, if perhaps we become disinterested...sometimes.

Brittany said...

Thats the game. Never ask a girl for her number. Always give her yours and tell her when to call you. So instead of you brownnosin and trying to call her let her do the calling. That will let you know if she is interested. If a female is interested she will call.

Just had to lace you with a lil game. lol

Rashan Jamal said...

Copelands got darkskinned chicks with long hair? Yo, I'm so there. LOL

Maybe she wants a new daddy for her irresponsible behavior. LOL Whatever, she was fly, you liked talking to her, just see what's up with it.

Rashan Jamal said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jameil said...

it may be standard practice but not for me. diva is right abt it being ATL. i think men have gotten lazier in general tho. if you weren't setting something in stone i would've left it to chance nah mean?

JayBee said...

@gotta: yeah...i'm open to see what happens. i'll keep ya posted.

@mp1: lol. you know step one is to admit that there is a problem. i'm not saying it always happens, but it is definitely my expectation.

@cherry: any dude who's trying to get at you who reads your comment now knows your secret.

@miz: but once you call, he can easily call you back. you know how when you call somebody they just instantly save your number.

@britt: yeah, i although it came across in the post as me being a little out of touch, i had not intention of asking for her number. i'm accustomed to being asked for mine, but that's that whole expecting draws to drop thing that i'm working on.

@rashan: fa sho! you see how i slid that comment in there. i was expecting females to jump all over me for that comment.

@jameil: i can feel you. i know i'm lazy in a lot of aspects of life. i just like for people to give me stuff without me having to do too much to work for it. i'm working on that though.

Brittany said...

"I'm accustomed to being asked for mine"

you got it like that? wow! lol

Ladynay said...

So she call you yet??

Mizrepresent said...

Dayum Jaybee...lol, i hadn't thought about that!

Virtuous said...

Hey - noticed you on Don's blog and then saw you are in Gboro! I am in the Queen City!
Guess I should read your post now huh?!? Haha!

One Man’s Opinion said...

Women don't play. If they want it they go get it. Where you been? Or maybe I am just use to dealing with aggressive ass women.

JayBee said...

@brittany: that's that thing i'm working on.

@ladynay: no...what do u think that means?

@miz: yeah...i'm surprised it's never happened to you before if that's something you do.

@virtous: *swinging my shirt around my head like it's a helicopter while singing that dreadful song*thanks for making the drive on by. i'll be sure to check you out as well. and hopefully it'll be like pringles--just can't stop.

@one_man: um...guess i've been out the loop for a while.

Virtuous said...

Cute :o)

Thanks J