Sunday, April 20, 2008

[You're Doing It] Again

Don't you just love Again by John Legend? Just got off the highway. I got another speeding ticket. This time it was for 82 in a 65. Okay. See that's reasonable. No I'm not happy about the ticket, but at least I can understand this one. I didn't say much this time because I was hoping that he'd feel sorry for me and let me go. He didn't let me go but he did reduce the price of the ticket from $175 to $76. Keep in mind the ticket for five miles over is $155.Here's what I thought about. If I'm gonna spend $130 in gas and pay about $100 for a speeding ticket when I drive, then it would be the same as me purchasing a plane ticket. The only thing is I'd have to rent a car once I arrive. The alternative of course is to slow my azz down, but that's probably not gonna happen. I wonder how many points I have on my license. I might need to go to driving school to see if I can get some of those points shaved off my record.Can we all get together and buy JayBee a radar detector?

Anyway, that's not the point of this post. How do you tactfully tell someone to leave you the heck alone? There's someone on my job who has attached themselves to me without my consent. Everytime I look around I'm getting an unsolicited phone call or text message. I know you say, well JayBee you must have given out your number. You'd be correct. I did. I was just being polite though. When I give someone my number I'm not looking for them to call all the time, especially not at first.*Insert quick English lesson. "A lot" is two words.* You know how when you're starting a friendship with someone sometimes you talk a whole lot and at first and then it fizzles and sometimes things take time to build before they really pick up. Well, this person has created this alternate reality where it's like we've known each other for a long time and I still feel like I don't know him. *notice the pronoun--I did that for ya'll who relish the details* He'll invite me to hang out and I'm like giving him the brush off. When I finally agree to hang out, it's like it becomes front page news. Why you got to run around the job telling people that we hung out or letting it "slip" in casual conversations with other people that we're supposed to be doing something?

I don't have to tell people on my job what my plans are after work. Why do you feel the need to do so? On top of that you make sure that you find a way to be in my face at least twice a day. I mean, ma phucka teach something. Let me do my job and that'll free you up so that you can do your job.

What I resent is when he's running around telling people that we went this place or that place it makes it seem like there's this buddy buddy friendship thing going on and it's clearly not that deep for me. What's lost in translation when he's recounting tales of when we hung out or whatever is how many times I said no before I finally, reluctantly agreed to go anywhere in public with you. It just makes it seem like to others, and we know that JayBee doesn't seek or need external validation, that we're just super cool and in this thing together. That's simply not the context of our relationship. I see you as a colleague. You cannot force a friendship. Am I culpable? Yes, absolutely. Perhaps I did not demarcate the boundary lines in such a way as so be clear just how far I intended to engage him.

I'm annoyed when I walk down the hall and you pop up Again. I'm annoyed when I'm teaching and you interrupt to let me know that you have something to tell me later Again. JUST TELL ME LATER (or don't cause I won't give a phuck anyway). I try to be polite, so I guard my body language and that's perhaps why he doesn't understand that I'm just not feeling this whole trying to be cool thing like he is. I don't need anymore people in my circle (not with all my blog buddies!). I just wanna go to work (not really but I have to), do my job and go the heck back home.

In other news, I saw Tyler Perry's play The Marraige Counselor. Thought it was entertaining. That same Tyler Perry formula, but hey, it works for him. It was my first time going to see one of those live plays. So good to see all my peoples out and about having a good time and not having any arguments. Such a far cry from the night before across town when I heard there was a shooting at that fashion show thing at the Compound. Glad I didn't roll over there.

28 comments:

Sheletha said...

Hey jaybee, nice to find your blog and read it. Hey I didn't know that it was that many things to do in Greensboro. Maybe I should surf the blogs more often.

JayBee said...

@sheletha: The play and fashion show thing happened in ATL. Thanks for stopping by.

Sheletha said...

figures...to respond to your comment on my page: um, i just found you blog jumping. I don't thing there is a search thingy on Blogger.

MP said...

You clearly have to ween dude off the tit. Just start telling him you are busy. That works for me. I answer phone calls and say I'll call u back then don't call back and eventually stop answering calls. text messages? ignore them. See him in the hall pretend to be on the phone. Walk faster. That polite body language? Cut it out.

Rashan Jamal said...

A male work stalker? LOL

I do love Again.

Slow it down, homey!

Chris said...

I like Another Again myself, but it's all John Legend and it's all good. Anyway, yeah, I'm with MP on this one...just try as politely as possible to let dude know that you already have one shadow and it does the job quite nicely.

cherry's kid said...

I always get work stalkers, male and female...the best way to get rid of them is to do what MP says. The more southern hospitality you show, the more it seems to them in their skewed reality that you're their friend.

JayBee said...

@sheletha: oh, okay. maybe i'll blog jump to see who i can find.

@mp: lol @ ween off the tit. i've been doing the brush off. like it took 20 times of me saying no to ever going anywhere before i said yes once. i'ma have to stop the polite body language.

@rashan: dang. didn't think about it that way. j. legend is the man. i'ma slow it down otherwise i'll be paving highways all over the southeastern united states.

@chris: i like both songs too. i'ma do what i can. so far i've ignored calls. said i was gonna call back and didn't. flaked on times when we were supposed to go out. cancelled stuff at the last minute or day of the event, etc. is that not enough for you to get that i'm not interested? if somebody did me like that i'd be like phuck 'em.

JayBee said...

@cherry: i guess the challenge for me is balancing that southern hospitality with distancing myself from the situation. believe me i have tried some of what mp has suggested. apparently not enough though. i like your term 'skewed reality'. you totally get it.

Brittany said...

The guy at your job just thinks your "cool" that's all. lol

Tabu said...

I have never had that problem. I usually don't cozy up with people I work with, even when pushed--

I see enough of them on the job.

Mizrepresent said...

lol, that was hella funny! I mean, why does he have to tell everyone about you all hanging out...that has to be so annoying. Well, it looks like it's time you told him...he's a "Bugga-Boy".

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

yep, wonder if it was a purse, and 155 a pop, dang and i wouldnt tell my coworkers either - im glad u aint go

Jazzy said...

He wants to hang out with a "celebrity". LOL!

Awwwwwww dude has a man-crush!

Seriously though, I would stop hanging out with him. Period.

JayBee said...

@brittany: well, in his defense, i kinda am! doesn't get on my nerves any less.

@tabu:point well taken. we do see enough of each other when you work on a job together.

@miz: sooo annoying.

@torrence: wonder if what's a purse? explain that. keep ya mouth closed--it's not everybody's business. i'm glad i didn't go too.

@diva:don't we all. i'm trying to slowly exit stage left.

FeFe Johnson said...

lmao @ MP telling you to ween homie off of the tit. Shit is funny.

You need to slow down for at least three weeks and let the money you save from not paying tickets go towards a radar detector...or slow down lmao

AS for the dude who's belly dancing on your nut sack...you're going to have to tell him. Its SO obvious and to the point where if he doesn't get subliminals now, he wont catch em later.

mp1 said...

That song is the biz....

Damn, dude won't let go huh? i've got that problem with people, but luckilty I don't work with them. I just ignore their calls and texts and keep it moving.

You might have to pull dude to the side and break it down

JayBee said...

@da_vinci: 'belly dancing on your nut sack' absolutely crazy. i lmao when i saw that. you're right about if he doesn't get the subliminals now he won't get 'em later.

@mp1: i'm just too nice sometimes. the thing is even when i'm on ignore mode, it still doesn't deter him. like a tree planted by the rivers of waters--he shall not be moved.

CHA CHA said...

I tagged you on my Crossing Treasures Blog...go take a look

CHA CHA said...

anymore people in my circle (not with all my blog buddies!).....::waving:: must be talking about me..LOL

Awww be nice Jay...he seems needy but at the same time he seems desperate, no one is that desperate to have casual buddie this late in life...tell him to write a blog...LOL

JayBee said...

@still: i don't know. it seems pretty desparate to me. i mean, you read the post. if that's not desparate what is? what else do you think might be going on in his head?

Jameil said...

tyler makes me vomit. I don't want some dude to be stalking you at work tho. that's not cute. also... we all get together and buy JayBee a CLUE!! slow down!!!

Anonymous said...

wow Jay...I thinkyou may need to-bluntly-but-appearing-tobe-casually say something about "how you really don't hang out too much with folks you work with cause it is bad for business...or you love spending your freetime doing ________( what ever is a solo or male/female activity) *raises eyebrow8 or just say Dude, I don't hang out with cats like that...as you hand him the book "he's just not that into you." LOL ok that was messed up *snickers off to read the rest of my blogroll*

JayBee said...

@jameil: lol. so, ya'll gonna buy me a clue, huh? too funny.

@mznewy: hilarious. is that a real book title? i think it's too late to say that i don't hang with people from work because i've done it more than once. i feel like i'm in too deep.

Anonymous said...

Jayb sholl is...*snicker* The dude that wrote the book "He's just not that into you" was on Oprah...that is how I heard about the book

The Jaded NYer said...

LMAO!!!! Awwww... he needs a friend, and he likes you, and you make him feel all warm and fuzzy inside...

LMAO!!!!

is it wrong that I don't know you and I'm clowing?

LMAO!!!!

RunGirl. said...

I am like you on those speeding tickets! I think I have 1 point left on my license. My car insurance is sky high because of it too. If you go to driving school you can get 4 points back, but of course the good old Commonwealth of Virginia does not allow such good fortune ... So I must get my points back the old fashioned way ... slow my ass down and let the years roll by

JayBee said...

@jaded: my kinda girl. you must feel at home when you can clown and don't really know somebody.

@run: you be speeding in virginia!?! what's wrong with u? u know them virginia cops be out to getcha.