Friday, May 9, 2008

Semantics

I ran across a post at Torrance's site that made me decide to post this. I had been talking about it with other people, but wasn't gonna speak on it in this forum. It was weird when I read the post because this incident took place just three days prior to me reading his post. Talk about coincidence.

I was on the phone with my mother discussing my plans to move. I was debating whether I'd buy something when I move or move into an apartment for six months and then buy. I think I've decided to rent for the short while and use that time to find where I want to buy. I'm leaning toward purchasing a condo. I'm a county boy but I don't necessarily need a yard. I do not like yard work--never have. That's one of the ways they used to punish me when I was a child. Pulling weeds, cutting grass, raking--ugghhh. I hate yard work. Since I don't really want to maintain a yard, it would just be an added expense for me to have a yard because I'd have to pay someone to keep it up.

Rather than have to fool with that I'd just rather do a condo where I can have fulltime security, valet parking and a concierge on the premises. I'd much rather have those services than a yard any day of the week. To each his own. I shared this with my mother and mentioned that living in a condo would also prevent me from having to host a bunch of family events. That's what did it. She was like, why don't you want your family to come over. Blah blah blah and then she said it. She said, "You're so selfish."

I can't describe how taken aback I was by this erroneous statement. Never mind I've loaned my younger brother of $600 to help him out. I just gave my niece $50 to put toward her eighth grade trip to Washington, D.C. because my sister didn't have the rest of the money to cover the full cost of the trip. In addition, I just gave my mom $348.56 to pay her car note this month. She's actually a month ahead, but that was my Mother's Day gift to her. Selfish? I don't think a selfish person would do the things that I've done.

The only reason I mentioned the thing about not having to host family events is because I do not like people encumbering my time, family included. People in my family have a tendency to volunteer you to do stuff without your knowledge or consent. I ain't down wit' that. I remember in 1998 when him* volunteered us to host the family reunion at our sprawling mansion house. I was pissed because I knew that we'd be doing most of the work while him* took all the credit like him* had done something. And that's exactly what happened. Of course because more people were around him* was even more annoying than usual.

My mother must not understand fully how I feel about having grown up in that house. I'm going to have to have a sit down conversation with her about the damage that was done. That's why I don't go home. That's why I don't want to be bothered. No I ain't hosting sh@t. Just as sure as my name is JayBee, if I had a house with a yard, they would be volunteering my spot to be the designated meet up place/host site for family events. I've known these people for 26 years so I know how they get down. Rather than have an issue later about why I don't want to hold events, I thought I'd head any trouble off at the outset by making it known now that I'm not even feeling having a bunch of people running up and through my sh@t. If ya'll like to have people up and through your stuff, that's fine. Don't try to impose that on me and then get mad when I decide that I don't want to do it. That's that damned script again.

So anyway, after talking to my roommate, she told me that my mom probably just used the wrong word. Some might argue that's it's a question of semantics. I'd disagree. The realism is the two terms have completely different denotations. What she really meant to say was that she felt I was being self-centered. Now, I wouldn't argue with that. I do have a tendency to be self-centered/self-absorbed at times. I'm fully aware of that character issue and don't make apologies for it. Who else is gonna look out for me? I gotta take care of numero uno. That's not to say that I don't care about other people. I just really care a lot about what's important to me. Why do people use the two terms interchangeably? They do not mean the same thing. Honestly, I wouldn't have been offended at all if she had used the term self-centered as opposed to selfish. Clearly, I have demonstrated that I am not a selfish person. If I'm in a position to help you and I don't mind extended you a hand, I will.

UPDATE

So what's the difference between the two? You ask the hard questions. Being selfish has a completely negative connotation. I liken it to having a disdain for sharing. Seeking only self-satisfaction. To hell with everybody else. Being self-centered also has a negative connotation, but to me it’s no where near as egregious as being selfish. Self-centeredness is just what it sounds like. For a person who is like this, they consider self first. That doesn’t mean that they don’t consider others. They just have a natural inclination to make satisfying their needs a primacy before addressing the needs of others. The difference between the two is that a selfish person doesn’t give a phuck about other peoples’ needs. A self-centered person will meet the needs of others. Most of the time though, it can only happen after their own needs have been met.

29 comments:

Tabu said...

Wow, I understand exactly where you stand. I did the condo thing too when I first purchased, and then bought a home--But I bought it almost 3 hours away from my family members purposely.

They thought I was selfish too.

I saw it much the same as you, they all have kids--My house is not baby proof nor am I. Why would I let all their little nose pickers come and mess up my stuff?

I still feel the same way. Maybe it would be different if I had a spouse and kids to lend a hand in family get togethers, but I don't.

One thing I didn't figure into the equation though, When they do come to visit, they usually spend the night.

Do we ever win?

I too like my time, and my space. I loved the condo, but I am tru country girl, Love the yard too.

Your not selfish, This is the time to do you. Shooo.

Brittany said...

Moms are going to be moms. I wouldn't even worry about it.

I feel you on the condo thing. I do not want a house at all or a yard. People here in the south think I'm crazy for that. I would just rather have a condo. I used to want the whole house with the fence and all but things change.

The only thing is you dont have your privacy sometimes but I can get over that.

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

so what is the differecne btwn self centered and selfish, i just asked a similar query....and i added u to my roll if u dont mind

JayBee said...

@tabu: thanks for that reassurace. not that i was going to change my mind, but it helps when other people who have no bias or vested interest can validate your thoughts.

@brittany: i'm def feeling the condo thing. not gonna worry about it like you said. still don't like it though.

@torrance: you ask the hard questions. yeah, you actually inspired this post. i meant to mention that. i'll update the post to reflect the same. also i'll include my description of what i feel the difference is between the two. i had been telling people about the convo i had with my mom and when i read selfish on your blog i immediately decided to blog about it. it was such a coincidence that you'd mention the word 'selfish' since we just had this conversation a couple of days ago.

Mizrepresent said...

I so feel you on the constant visitations...my ex Mister, used to have family over every weekend, family that would stay months, it nearly drove me crazy...now i sit in my house and think...nobodys coming over...and thats cool. Not that i don't like visitors, but i just don't want to see them every weekend.

My next move is also to a condo, cuz like you i hate yard work...and i usually have to pay someone.

You're not selfish...not at all.

Jazzy said...

I think you're mom used the right word. Don't give me THAT look. I just think she meant that you were being selfish with your TIME for your family, which can of course translate to being self-centered.

Obviously it bothers her that you would come right out and say that you dont want them (and especially not *him) at your house.

Like you I don't like all my family at my place either. It's why I move a lot...but every once in a while, I bite the bullet and host a Holiday dinner.

Condo vs. house...I live in a condo now and I can't wait to buy a house. Noisy neighbors are annoying.

Chris said...

him* is really a thorn in your side. I can understand you not wanting to visit or anything if dude is anywhere close to the prick I'm assuming he is.

Jameil said...

sigh. i love my fam and would host them if i lived in a cardboard box. all however many of em that would show up with their friends. at least 15 I'm sure. listen to tabu, tho.

kit von b. said...

ughhhhhhhh...she didnt hve to go there :(

-KB

One Man’s Opinion said...

We are so much alike, it's funny. I have a house and I tell my family that I don't want them in my house, point blank. It's not that I don't love them, it's just that some of them snoop, some of them steal and just for the simple reason that they don't know when to take their asses home.
I had some of them over for my house blessing when I first got it and I did have Thanksgiving over here once, and I guess I will host again this year, but I'd rather not and in the end, it is my decision to make, all day long.
I have never been called selfish because of this, and I might be offended if I was called it, since I don't consider myself to be selfish, but when it comes to my house I feel comfortable in being selfish! I don't care. My home, my castle.

Side bar: I think condos suck. Get a house! Houses rule over condos.

Ladynay said...

New pic? YAY!

My next move will be into a house with a yard if I have any say! LOL

I don't blame you for your reasons to get a condo tho'. Getting volunteered into stuff unknowingly is not cute.

Mr. Jones said...

I think I'm going to be a city boy for life. I can't imagine lawns and mowers and stuff. No, thank you.

If I find a nice condo in a nice neighborhood in a city, I'm cool.

JayBee said...

@miz: the operative word is constant. like you, i don't mind you coming over, but not all the dang time. another member of the condo club! yes!

@diva: but diva, i don't think the two are synonymous. i didn't say i don't want them at my house. i said i don't want them volunteering my spot to be the host spot for all the family gatherings. i don't mind sometimes, but i don't want to be on top of the list. you move cause you don't want family at your spot? here's a more cost effective solution. just say this: NO MA PHUCAK YOU AIN'T COMIN' OVER. I GOT SHYT TO DO. that should take care of it.

@chris: that's an understatement. chris, whatever you're assuming is not enough. multiply that times 50.

@jameil: i love 'em too. i just know how they can be.

@karrie: yeah...below the belt.

@one_man: you're waaaayyy more forward than i am. you point blank tell them that you don't want them there. i'd be a little more subtle than that. for me though, it's not that i don't want them there. i just know that they'll be popping up all the time and volunteering my spot as the after church/family reunion/your cousin's in town gathering place. have you ever done a condo? i know it's like an apartment but you get the tax break, have no yard work and can have full time security, a concierge and valet parking. it's like a hotel/apartment.

@ladynay: you noticed. i eventually wouldn't mind the house/yard thing, but i need to be able to afford it. i agree, getting volunteer unknowingly is quite ugly.

@mr. jones: i'm a country boy at heart so i'm used to grass and stuff. i just don't want to be taking care of any grass right now. uh....can't remember if i've seen you around here before. if not welcome. if so....i didn't take my medicine today.

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

nothing like being self refelctive and a man, and not to many of us can be reflective and reevaluate stuff kudos to u and my hat is off, but not the condo, the farm folk and move next to my 11 acres and we can have a nation state

CHA CHA said...

Is sounds to the fam was trying to figure out another reason to be in your business

After all you've done I dont see you being selfish whatsoever. If you would have brought all of the things you've done up in her face..then and only then would she have had the right to call you self centered....EITHER way you know what you are and if you want to make a decision for your future and you are the one paying the bills than who cares what anyone else feels or has a opinion about.

CHA CHA said...

I hope that made sense..I kind of confused myself..LOL

Rich Fitzgerald said...

u just want some peace, at least that's the way I take it. I'm similar to you in that regard. I like family but I don't like people who impose.

RealHustla said...

JayBee, I'mma need you to take your position with this family over thing a step further. Don't attempt to justify yourself to us, them, or anyone else. Yo sh@t is Yo sh@t! I would definitely have explained to my mother how I'm not sure what she means by "being selfish." It would be great if you could make clear for her how your childhood was, if not just to get it off your chest. Don't get your hopes up though, you may not get the response you think you deserve.

JayBee said...

@torrance: it's one way to feel a certain way, but you need to be able to put language to it. done the country farm thing before and not wanting to go back right now.

@still: exactly. who cares how they feel? well, i guess if i didn't care i wouldn't have posted this, but i think i care more that they at least appreciate my perspective even if they don't agree. and you didn't lose me; i was withcha the whole time.

@rich: as poca would say, gimme ten feet. that's all i need.

@realhustla: i wanna make it clear to her, but i mean, she was present. for the life of me i can't see how everybody lived in the same house but have completely different views on what that experience was like. boggles the mind.

Jazzy said...

I get where you are coming from now...maybe your mom misunderstood just as I did initially.

lol @ your other comment to me. That's not the only reason I move. I guess I do it mostly because I like change...more than the average person really.

Mr. Jones said...

uh....can't remember if i've seen you around here before. if not welcome. if so....i didn't take my medicine today

Thanks for the welcome. And no, you aren't crazy. I've been lurking around, but finally decided to say something.

Don said...

People in my family have a tendency to volunteer you to do stuff without your knowledge or consent. I ain't down wit' that. Don't I know. I definitely feel you on this statement. People act like it's a chain of command or something.

I think your mom may have used the wrong word, as well. Only she really knows though. I think being self-centered isn't the same as "looking out for your best interest." I think being selfish is "always" looking out for your best interest over the hapless interest of those who need you to bend @ times.

Don said...

I have paid many a car notes and rents in my time. Not one of those family members give a ish when its all and and done.

I'm sure you can draw your own conclusions. Maybe your fam is different from this side of my family I speak on. I can't turn back the hands of time and what I did from my heart, but damn...

JayBee said...

@diva: phew! glad you see what i'm saying now.

@mr. jones: okay...i thought so, but couldn't be sure.

@don: totally feeling you. i mean, i did what i did from the heart too. i only put some of it out there to illustrate the point. it's crazy when after all you've done for people they turn around a demean you. as far as the chain of command goes, the buck stops here. i'll make decisions for what i do, thank ya very much. i don't need you volunteering me for a got dang thang.

cherry's kid said...

I guess families just think that you're supposed to just do whatever they want because you're family and your own feelings don't matter...so not true...my mom and I are the selfish ones in our family because we don't host any family events and the events we do go to we leave early...but we sponosor everyone thru college, jail, and grad school...we send everyone presents that we never get thank you cards for and we even extend vacation invites to everyone to join us on vacation but because we don't want the family roaming all thru our personals at our house we're selfish...shit! I know how you feel! Just a little self centered right now!

eclectik said...

Dope Blog.

e.

JayBee said...

@cherry: welcome to the 'why are you so selfish club'. people are outrageous with their expectations. you and ya moms are definitely not selfish--i mean, sponsoring able-bodied ma ph--i ain't gonna cuss--able-bodied people is a selfless move.

@eclectic: 'preciate it, bruh. thanks for stopping by. feel free to return anytime. you're late for class so ya gotta do ya homework. get into the archives. i'ma roll past your spot and see what's poppin' over there.

Anonymous said...

I'm late on getting to your post. What's funny is that I have the same exact problem with my mom. She calls me selfish all the time. Damn near my entire adult life. I did a post on it though. Back in December. Here's the link: http://theweightofwhatisreal.blogspot.com/2007/12/on-being-selfish.html

But note that we define selfish wrong. In ancient Chinese, there are two definitions of selfish. One is negative and the other is more positive.

Selfish: doing that which is beneficial to self.

Selfish: being greedy, cruel or hoarding.

I can't say that not wanting to host family events is being greedy, cruel or hoarding. You're not saying that they can never come over. You just don't want the headache of hosting.

I totally understand where you are coming from. Part of the reason I chose to pursue my legal education 3 hours from my parents.

JayBee said...

@ieisha: i like that first definition. i'ma check out that post and comment on what i think.