Thursday, May 1, 2008

So That Makes Sense To You?

Picture it. Sicily 1924. Oh wait, I'm getting my story confused with the way the grandma used to tell stories on the Golden Girls. Don't hate on the Golden Girls. That show was so damned funny. Actually, it was eighth grade year and we were getting ready to go on our class trip to Washington, D.C. I remember the trip cost $319 per person and of course you had to bring some spending money. We were gonna be in the city for five days four nights. The plan was to do all the touristy stuff the city had to offer.

I don't remember a whole lot of details about the trip. I do know that we had a helluva good time. We had coach transportation so the ride was comfortable. We watched movies, told jokes and reminisced about days gone by. Good times were had by all.

Anyway I had my lil $200 spending money. I decided that I was going to eat very cheaply all week and spend my money on me some name brand clothes. Growing up in my house at the time there were four children and two adults. My parents really, honestly couldn't afford to have four children. I'll never forget one day when we were in the car him* asked me if we (my siblings and I) wanted a little sister. I have two brothers and a sister so there were three boys and one girl. I was quick with my absolutely not reply. I told him* that he couldn't afford the children he already had. How was he gonna pay for another one? Although I was telling nothing but the sho nuff truth, this of course caused a small argument. Stop being so grown, blah blah blah. Disrespectful blah blah blah. I was thinking to myself, why ask a question if you don't want the answer? Even now when my friends and associates probe me for information I'll first ask them if they really want my opinion or if they want me to say what I perceive that they want to hear.

I almost forgot the point of that whole side story. The point is my peeps didn't really have it like that to be popping out any more babies. Plus, what's the guarantee that the next child would be a female. So far 3/4 kids have been male. Nikes and any other things with a recognizable label were not always things that we had the luxury of having. When we did get something we'd have to take excellent care of it because who knew when the next time was that you'd be able to have something else.

Like I said I ate cheap that week. There were even a couple meals built into the price of the trip so we weren't responsible for every single meal anyway. Everyone else was ordering some costly stuff for each meal but I fell back, because I knew I wanted to get myself a Tommy Hilfiger outfit. When it came time for the mall trip on the itinerary I did just that. I was so proud of my conquest. I couldn't wait to show my mom what I had purchased since they valued sacrifice. It seemed like that word was a constant theme in our house.

When I got back and showed her my outfit him* was present as well because it went down in their bedroom. Him* asked me how much I had spent. I don't remember the exact amount but it was somewhere around $130. Him*'s eyes got huge. He was like why would you be so selfish and spend $130 on one outfit. What about your brothers and sister? You could have stretched (another common word heard resonating in our house) that and got something for everybody. I was thinking to myself and I didn't say it that I thought the spending money was my spending money. I didn't realize that I was expected to shop for the neighborhood while I was away. If I had understood that I would have, but of course I would have needed more money because prior to leaving I had already decided what I was spending my money on. I rarely got to get name brand stuff so when I saw the chance to get me something I was definitely going to take advantage of it. Cancel those plans.

Him* decided that the following day, a Saturday, we would drive to the nearest Macy's and take back my purchase to get a refund. Then we'd drive back to Savannah and go to KidsWear and get outfits for me and my three brothers. I had a learner's permit so I did the driving. Mind you the nearest Macy's was 2.5 hours away. Back then gas was nowhere near what it is today, but I still didn't see how driving 2.5 hours to take back a $100 outfit was all that cost effective, not to mention the intangible cost of my time. That's about 7 hours of my life that I can't get back. Of course the stuff at KidsWear wasn't a recognizable name brand, but it was clean and I didn't look homeless. I think each of use got two outfits on that money.

When I told my best friend she laughed like no tomorrow. It became a running joke. "Shut up before I tell [him*] to take you to KidsWear." Even to this day we'll mention this incident in casual conversation from time to time and trip.

23 comments:

RunGirl. said...

How excited am I that you watched the Golden Girls ... very

Jazzy said...

Sophia was my favorite...especially when she started telling a story with the, "Picture it...Sicily...19--" line!

I'm just going to agree with you on this since you get all snappy on me when I don't.

Still cracking up at that last paragraph though!

Brittany said...

I'm sure you were mad at your dad back then but now(although you may still be mad) you can realize that spending $100 on an outfit was crazy. I would have stretched the money and been cheap with food as well but I would have bought at least two outfits.
But then again I love sweets so I prob would have got ice cream with each meal and then ice cream just randomly.

@opinionated diva- ooops..should I agree too? I don't want him snapping on me.

JayBee said...

@run: that used to be the joint!

@diva: why did all her stories start with that line? give me your honest feedback. i'm a big boy.

@britt: i was mad but given our financial situation i understood his frustration with me. you don't have to agree with me. i like open discourse. if we disagree then i'll express why and you can rebut/or explain your point again. don't listen to diva. i don't be snapping on people. sometimes my opinions are expressed passionately, that's all.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I think I would have done the same as you…I would have bought any damn thing I wanted and been excited at my conquest. My mom probably wouldn’t have made me return it especially since this was a trip for me and not the family. We saved and sacrificed all year long so every once and while when my mom gave us $10-$20 we spent it however we pleased with no complaints from her. I don’t think it was a selfish move on your part, everybody needs something that’s specifically for them… no matter how much it cost.

Oh and I made a golden girl reference in my post yesterday… see very last sentence. LOL

Brittany said...

Ok then I stick with my comment. I don't agree!! lol

CHA CHA said...

I loved Golden Girls, Dorothy was my favorite.

Anyhoo, I am so familiar with having to get the cheapest clothes at the cheapest stores...but we looked good.

I am the oldest of all my siblings so I never got hand me downs or had to suffer...the rest, yes.

dejanae said...

golden girls was that show


haha@the last part

RealHustla said...

That was YOUR spending money. I'm assuming that you earned it somehow and that they just didn't hand it over to you. I guess if they did give it to you they reserved the right to torment you by making you take it back. I see "him's" point, but I see yours too. This story made me angry for some reason.

Don said...

lol @ "him." took me back to kings of comedy.

that is the mark either a good heart or not having a real choice in the matter. i take it that it was a combination of both. from reading your blog, yeah, definitely good-hearted.

i know a few people who are willing to drive two hours to save money. i never understood that concept either. like you say, with gas prices being as they are, those trips are now being cut short. LOL.

JayBee said...

@gotta: i don't remember if i mentioned the word selfish but that was exactly the insinuation. i'ma check out your post from yesterday.

@britt: okay...it was me being a kid and having a little bit of money that i thought i could spend any way i wanted. if there were going to be stipulations, then they shouldn't have given me the money in the first place or at least advised me of what things it was acceptable to purchase. i can conform when i know the rules going in. what i detest is someone building the plane while it's flying.

@poca: she was funny too. all of them were funny in their own way. the stuff looked okay but i just wanted to have some stuff that some of the other kids had. i hadn't come into my own yet and realized that i didn't need my peers' approval or validation.

@dejanae: my best friend can be so mean sometimes. it's all in good fun, but at the time i was kinda sensitive about it.

@real: there was nothing specific that i did to earn it other than being a dutiful son, complete with all the trappings that come along with that mantle of responsibility. lol@ 'torment'. reflect on why it made you angry and let us know.

@don: i typically don't refer to him* by name or title. we still haven't had a blood test so i won't believe/accept it until such time. actually it is the latter rather than the former. i didn't have a choice. children didn't make decisions in my household. driving all over the place to save money = madness.

Rich Fitzgerald said...

man that was jacked up. i remember when i was growing up that i used to cut grass for my money. my daddy always made me split it with my brother, even if he didn't go with me. i hated that. then i wised up and had one pocket for my "split money" and one for my "take care of me" money.

btw, been seeing you over at Don's, so I thought i'd swing thru.

Mizrepresent said...

I Know how it feels to want something more, something you can show off to your friends...but then again, that was alot of money to be spent at that time on one outfit. I don't know if i would have taken you back to the store to exchange the outfit, but you would have assuredly heard a lecture about worth. Good story, as always.

JayBee said...

@rich: thanks for stopping by. come back any time. i'ma slide thru your spot as well. smart move with the side pocket.

@miz: i got the lecture and the return. oh well. thanks for the compliment.

RealHustla said...

I know why it made me angry. Now that I know that they gave you the money they either 1, thought that they had taught you the skill of sacrifice and naturally thought that you would bring back gifts for everyone or 2, set you up knowing full well that you were going to spend all that money on yourself, and then planned to make a fool out of you if you did. If the answer was 2 then that was just effed up. My step father used to do this type of stuff to me all the time. He had no clue what parenting was and I felt embarrassed, angry and humiliated each time.

mint julep said...

i remember that 8th grade trip to dc, altho we didn't go the same year. like other commenters have said i understand him's pov but i feel like F that. it was your spending money and you coulda blown it on food and no one would have been the wiser. if they didn't have it to spare, they shouldna sent you to dc with it. my schemin/slick ass woulda just kept the outfit and told them i got it on sale for $50. ha ha. that's just me. altho i also know about not being able to tell a lie to a question asked directly. its the goodie goodie in me.

JayBee said...

@real: if you call yourself a parent, why are you playing games? i never thought about it like that. maybe it was a test and clearly i failed.

@mint: that trip was so fun. good times. there was no keeping the outfit. i had to turn it over to him* and our saturday plans were made right then to drive it back to macon and you know how far macon is from sav just to get $100.

MP said...

Damn I would have been wishing that I at least ate big while I was there!

Jess Living said...

I used to watch that show with my grandmother. I would have saved the money and gotten my outfit little by little each time we went out. My logic would be each time we would go out I would get a little spending money from my mom to add to what I already had ( what she didn't know I still had). Or simply kept the money for a rainy day.

JayBee said...

@mp: it just made me be a little slicker from that point on.

@jess: i learned how to freak the system after that. to this day i'm very selective about the information that i share with them. neither my mom or him* likes that, but this is the reality that they created.

The Jaded NYer said...

So I'm all late and what not, but I *just* used that same phrase (from the Golden Girls) in a recent post!! That show was the bomb!

lol

JayBee said...

@jaded: yeah...it was hilarious. i'ma have to check out that post.