Monday, June 30, 2008

Compass

I like the story about No excuses! so much that I have added it to my text messaging signature.

I've been doing a lot. Some of you may recall I am unemployed. I resigned my job and to date have not secured employment with any school system for the upcoming school term. At this point I should be panicking, but it's like whatever. My lease ends at the end of July and I haven't found a new place to live. I'm still like whatever. I can't figure out why I'm not worried about these things. I mean, this is serious stuff, but I'm being very cool about it. To those on the outside looking in I may seem directionless. It's not that. It's just that the compass I'm using hasn't point me to my North Pole just yet.

Before I was considering a move the to ATL. I have family there and all over Georgia. The folks stay in Savannah. Anyway, I did the whole online application thing for APS and went to a career fair. Still nothing. My roommate swears that I haven't done enough to secure employment. I'm like short of dropping my draws, what else should I do? I've called and sent some e-mails. I don't wanna become a stalker. Besides, I don't feel like I should have to hook for a job. (If I don't have one by August 1st, then all morals will be put on hold. Hookin' for a job won't be so bad after all.) I have some other stuff in the works, but I'll go ahead and reveal a few of the cards.

I've decided to cast a wider net. Interestingly enough '...enlarge my territory...' has been in my spirit pretty hard these last few weeks, although this isn't the appropriate context for that idea. I've been doing a little digging around about the D.C. area. I did an online application for DC Public Schools. We'll see what happens. As soon as I know how I'm gonna maintain the hot water and electricity I'll let you all know.

I got an auto insurance quote from my current company. You know, the one that'll save you a bunch of money by switching. I think I've said before that I would not mind being in one of their commercials. As a matter of fact, while I was trying to get information about a quote for my potential move, I was given a discount here that I have not been receiving. You can't tell me nothing about my insurance company. (double negatives and all) They quoted me $838.80 for comprehensive without collision and $1195.70 for comprehensive with collision. Although my car is 12 years old, I cannot afford to get in an accident and not have a means to fix it. I have some $$$ saved for emergencies, but I still think it would be wise for me to keep my collision coverage. The woman on the phone advised me that people in my position often do not keep collision when the car is as old as mine is. I'm debating. If I go with the $838.80 my monthly payment would be just under $140. Right now I pay almost $125, so that wouldn't be a huge increase. With the other premium I'd be at $199.28. That's way more than I want to pay for insurance, but the realism is that I might have to do it. Help me out blog fam, should I keep the collision coverage or not on my vehicle that was manufactured before I started high school?

Meanwhile I was just talking to a friend on the phone who reminded me that I had to tutor this evening. Dang. I be forgetting stuff all the time now. Maybe I need to take some vitamins. Let me run.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

alright so you had a sista over here doin' hella math, lol. You had not started high school in 1996? Damn, you young!!! But you definitely have moments of wisdom b/c I wouldn't have pegged you for a young buck.

Now that I'm over your youth, let me touch on the topics you mentioned.

In keeping with the title of our blog, "The Realism Is..." here we go:

The realism is that we are in a RECESSION and although we can always use great teachers, some of these school districts cannot afford to run day-to-day let alone recruit new talent so you may need to pull that pant leg up and show of them ashy ankles, lol.

But the reality is that the job market is harsh and if you've got the mentality of "have car, will travel," you may need to look in the areas that have low unemployment rates. So as much as I'd like to have you in the Detroit area cuz they can always use a great teacher, they may not be afloat come next year. So definitely take that into consideration.

As for the compass, what do we do to them to aid in pointing North? I'm a fixer so it's a natural reaction for me. But I want to see you do well. No jobless, homeless spirals for you!

As for the car insurance, my car is as old as yours if not older (it's late and I'm done with math for the day) but it goes to what you can afford. And if you can't afford to replace the vehicle, it would probably be in your best interest to keep the collision. But ask an insurance expert to be safe.

If you choose not to keep it, drive defensively!

RunGirl. said...

Have you tried http://www.higheredjobs.com/ ?

JayBee said...

@ieisha: well actually i started august '96. i wasn't in the editing mood when i wrote that so maybe i didn't state it correctly. i'm all for makin' it do what it do. ashy ankles or whatever it takes! i'm definitely open to relocating. i'll pretty much go wherever i can keep hot water and electricity. i think i'm going to keep the collision. getting rid of it is just too risky.

@rungirl: i haven't but in my other tab i just pulled it up so i'll do some digging. thanks.

swag_ambassador said...

I get like that from time to time.. where I have the outlook that everything will be ok in the long run. And for the most part it works out.

Man Im right there with you on the job tip, 08 has been a hard year for jobs for me.

CHA CHA said...

1. Dont hook
2. You'd be much cuter in the commercials than the lizzard/chamelon

3. Have you packed??!??!..you are way to non chalant

4. Its not the compass you should be asking which way to go but ask the Lord for direction

5. Good luck with it all....

Chris said...

If you decide to teach a class on cool, calm and collected, I'll gladly sign up for that jawn. Sometimes I contemplate walking away, but the lack of a safety net just scares the living daylights out of me. I think remaining calm is an asset that God gives to people who can handle it, and you definitely seem to be one of those folks. I think you'll land a gig soon.

Mizrepresent said...

I believe that everything is gonna work out for the best, and when you least expect it. Just keep trusting, everything you desire will appear. That is what faith is about...trusting and believing and going forward plan in hand. It will happen for you, if you just continue to believe.

Princess K's thoughts of the day..... said...

You don't know me, but I just had to chime in here and tell you that your peace must come from a good place, assuming that you are sane-smile, so stay in that- everything is obviously as it should be. Peace.

Brittany said...

You really need to worry about your lease first of all. Don't become homeless on us.

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

the perfect opp to start your own business so start thinking folk

One Man’s Opinion said...

I'm telling you. DISD...Dallas Independent School District. We are hurting bad for teachers or you could just become what you hate most...a cop. LOL. Come to big D. We got love for the teachers, although our students are little asses.

What grade do you teach again?

Anyway, the best of luck to you. Your day will come.

Don said...

coming from a brother who dropped his collision coverage only to receive damage to my car, i wouldn't advise anyone to drop. unless they wanted to go through the pains of having to come up with the money @ one time. it hurt me to hand over that much money to the body shop.

as for the employment i don't really know what to add. except the fact that you appear to be the type who has everything under control. so i think you'll handle any and everything which comes your way.

mint julep said...

you need to cast that net further south, down my way. you know we are hurting for teachers down here in NOLA. The recovery school district here and the school districts in neighboring parishes are looking for people. and oh I'm here so what more do you need. Let the fun times and debauchery ensue. I can get more info if you need it.

JayBee said...

@swag: mama said there'd be days like this. but you got a gig you like, right?

@still: 1. wasn't planning to for real :) 2. thanks. i gotta get me an audition. 3. no. in due time 4::church face and inaudible tongues5.'preciate it

@chris: jawn. that's my word from my dc/maryland folks! i still can't figure out why i'm not freaking out. i think i just know that it'll all work out eventually.
(faith)

@miz: amen. thanks for the word of encouragement. still can't believe i thought you were so young in that first picture! wow. (actually, that's to your credit)

@kc: we welcome one and all around these parts. thanks so much for stopping by and sharing. i'll be sure to stop by your spot too.

@brittany: thanks. if something goes wrong and i can't renew, is there room in the inn? i don't even eat a lot.

@torrance: you might be on to something. if i come up with something i think i can do, i'll shoot it past you.

@one_man: i did like dallas when i went to visit. it's worth a try, i guess. i appreciate the service that police officers provide, but i have no desire to join the ranks. to be honest with you one_man, you're on the short list of cops who i know (well you know what i'm saying) who i actually like. certified 6-12 secondary math. preference is high school.

@don: your story is my fear. i'm just too scary to take the risk. i'll just have to pay the higher premium. good to have you back in the rotation, man.

@mint: yeah, i guess that would be an area of great need. yeah, the fact that you're there would be a selling feature. maybe you should try real estate. :) please do ms. esquire, forward me the info. it's definitely worth looking into.

Jazzy said...

Lately I've been forgetting stuff like crazy myself...don't sweat it.

You are too cool...I would be a serious mess if I had a lease up in a month and no alternative. I'd be even more of a mess if I didn't have a job situation lined up as well.

Hopefully you'll hear something from DC or ATL fairly soon.

Don said...

@ jaybee: appreciated.

Ladynay said...

See what happens when you don't keep up with a brotha? I was over here thinking you was in the A right now *smh*

Keep liability. That's all you need.

Can I watch if you start hooking? *wink*

RunGirl. said...

How goes the job search? Any new leads/offers that does not include you changing your name??

JayBee said...

@diva: fortunately for me being cool in what can be considered an intense situation is one of my super powers.

@don: fa sho!

@ladynay: you can be going m.i.a. i wish i could, but i'm just to scared to do that.

@rungirl.: there's some d.c. stuff in the works. got some interviews scheduled for next week.

Mizrepresent said...

You are welcome Jaybee, and thanks for the compliment...i've been told that before...smile!