Friday, May 18, 2007

Wedding

So I'm in Acworth, Georgia, for my younger brother's wedding. It's at two and I'm just kinda laying around the hotel chilling. Yesterday on the drive down there was a bad accident on 85S so I was literally parked on the highway for about two hours. If you've never been stuck in traffic that long you don't konw what you're missing. After a while people start getting out of their cars and migrating toward each other and perfect strangers strike up conversations extolling the quick response time of the emergency service vehicles arriving on the scene but cursing the snail's pace at which they can clear the road and get traffic flowing again. So anyway, after I got through that I checked into the hotel, grabbed a bite a Shoney's, made the obligatory small talk with family members and crashed.

I woke up this morning to the sound of someone banging on my hotel room door. I knew immediately that the police-like knock was from none other than my early to rise niece. She woke me (actually I was already awake, just in bed) to see if I wished to partake in the continental breakfast offered by the hotel. The realism is she just wanted to spend some time with me so I got up and got ready. While getting ready my mother knocked on my door with the same inquiry. I told her that I'd be getting ready and accompanying her.

Now I'm back in the room and just decided to blog.

Since I'm blogging, let me just ask something. Why does it seem that the people who don't really know anything are the ones who always get promoted? Or the people who's past performance has been lackluster at best?

On a positive note I got invited to the High Schools that Work conference this summer. Quick background: Major conference about all the good things high schools should be doing to be effective. Those in attendance are the gurus/know-it-alls in their respective roles. This will be a good opportunity to network and since it's in New Orleans, it will also be a good time to hang out. I hope they've taken care of all the E. coli bacteria and malaria virus and whatnot. Salmonella doesn't go with any of my outfits. Until later.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Salmonella doesn't go with any of my outfits." Typical.

In response to your question as to why it's always the folks who don't know anything that get promoted, all I can say is that they are great bull shit artists. The difference between them and us is that that we keep it real. Period. Unfortunately, I have learned that keeping it real is not always the quickest way to the top. However, I'll never sacrifice my "realism" for anything. It feels good to accomplish a goal and still be able to look back and say, "I kept is real the whole ride through."

Question for you now...What is it with guys and toothpicks? A friend of mines told my that "girls like that stuff"...I had to admit that it is a bit sexy (if you work it right). But, what gives? I just don't get it.


- Cadence

JayBee said...

I don't know much about the toothpick thang. I tell you what though, the next time I'm out to eat I'ma get a toothpick and see how much attention I get.