Thursday, September 22, 2011


I was holding out hope for Mr. Davis. Alas, it was to no avail. For a moment, I allowed myself to believe that there was a possibility that the Supreme Court would at least stop the execution until we could reexamine the witnesses who have since recanted their original testimonies. Nevertheless, it was not to be. At one point in my life, I was all for the death penalty. What i realize now is that it's all or nothing. Because of cases like this, I have to now confess that I am against the death penalty. This cannot continue. We have to stop this. I will confess though, that I didn't speak to a senator or DA or anyone else. I called, but didn't get an answer. We cannot afford to go back to business as usual. Let me add this...I don't know what happened because I wasn't there. But because of the doubt and supposition, that, in my opinion, is at least enough to have stopped the execution. I wonder if the Supreme Court is going to or already has published a reason for denying Davis another appeal. I'd like to read it if so.

3 comments:

Ieisha said...

I haven't seen a Supreme Court opinion yet and don't know if there will be one but here's a link to the Georgia opinion on Mr. Davis's writ for habeas corpus.

http://multimedia.savannahnow.com/media/pdfs/DavisRuling082410.pdf

JayBee said...

@ieisha: thanks homie...i'm gon check it out.

Sunny said...

I think we all thought they would put a stop to this and further investigate. But they didn't and we lost someone who very well might have been innocent.

I don't know if I'm for the death penalty or not. But this was simple said and unjust.