Saturday, July 26, 2008

Forgivness Not Permission

I don't know what it is but telling me no always makes me want to do it more. As a courtesy to my parents I asked permission to see the movie Boomerang. I think I was about 14 when it came out--maybe 15. Either way I was under the recommended age of seventeen. I emphasize the term 'courtesy.' I asked to give them an opportunity to sanction me viewing the film. Growing up in that super religious household (as far as that kinda stuff goes, we won't even go into all the hypocritical stuff) I had an inkling that they may not grant me permission to view the film. True to form I was denied.

For me no usually doesn't mean that it can't happen. It just means that I have to adjust some things to make it happen. I devised a way to see the film anyway and I saw it. This taught me something. Sometimes when you attempt to go through the proper channels you may be denied. I've said it before and I'll say it again. I do not ask for permission. I ask for forgiveness. Basically, I'll just do what I want to do and when you call me on it, I'll say oops my bad. I'm not suggesting that this is the best way to do things or that it is right. There is something inherently manipulative about it inasmuch as I've already thought it out and because there is a possibility that you'd say no I'm just gonna forgo that conversation. In this way if you were to say no and I did it anyway I would be being defiant like I was with my parents about the movie. If I don't ask in the first place I'm just being presumptuous.

I can recall being in church and my desire to see Boomerang was mentioned from the pulpit. I can't be certain, but this was probably followed up by some admonitions to parents to keep a good eye on your kids or something like that. As I was sitting in the pew listening to my business being put on front street I had mixed emotions. On one hand I thought it inappropriate for him* to discuss that from the pulpit. On the other hand I was smiling and rubbing my hands together on the inside ala the bad guy on Inspector Gadget because I had already viewed the film. Whereas him* thought him* was making himself* look big by letting the congregation know how he vetoed that, etc., I relished in the fact that I had already done what I wanted to do anyway. Maybe this will make for good holiday conversation. As a matter of fact maybe I'll make a list of stuff that I did that they didn't know about and share it during the holiday. Anybody wanna come to my Thanksgiving?

16 comments:

RunGirl. said...

I'll come... I'm sure it will be a good time.

Anonymous said...

That's gonna be an intense Thanksgiving. It's gonna be something like that dinner scene from "Why Did I Get Married?"...ooh wee, don't know if that is good or bad, lol.

You'd do that in front of company?

Jazzy said...

LOL!!!

You know what they say...your kids will pay you back for all that you've done to your parents. That's certainly how it turned out for my sister...lol!

RealHustla said...

How will you start the conversation? You gotta save this for a time when him* is feeling himself* way too much. And then, snatch him* back into reality with the story.

I'm only making things worse aren't I?

JayBee said...

@rungirl.: yeah...we'll have fireworks in the middle of winter.

@ieisha: nah...i'm much too conservative to let guests see me act a fool. it's more like who wants to be a fly on the wall for the showdown.

@diva: i think my kids will be fine. i really wasn't that bad so if they have to pay me back it'll mainly be mouth that i'll have to deal with.

@realhustla: nah....you ain't makin' it any betta. but i do like the idea. when everybody comes around is usually when him* gets to feelin' himself. it's like him* is on stage. the commencing of a holiday is like the curtain call.

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

the preacher called u out like that dang

Mizrepresent said...

Wow, just wow...i can't even imagine being told "No" about seeing a movie...so i feel ya on doing it anyway...my parents may have said i couldn't go somewhere and i...being the defiant person that i was, went anyway...punishment or not. In my marriage, my ex used to say i couldn't go somewhere, be with somebody, la-di-da...and it only worked against him and us...cuz when you try to shut me down i become the most rebellious person you will ever meet.

Chris said...

Would I love to be a fly on the wall at your Thanksgiving. Sheesh! Dude is really a cornball for all he's put you through, I think you should go ahead and make him choke on turkey during the holidays.

arychtexas said...

i think that is just human nature. Especially when your're a teenager or grown and somebody tellin you no! its like saying "YEAH YOU BETTER DO IT!"

Newy said...

LOL I would love to be at that Thanksgiving dinner...The scene that popped in my head was from "Meet the Browns"

"What about our momma"

"....Nasty hoe..."

LOL

Newy said...

BTW...Thanks for changing the font....:)

JayBee said...

@torrance: yeah, because him* lived with me.

@miz: i completely understand. telling me no sometimes can be so counterproductive.

@chris: don't tempt me.

@archtexas: exactly. it might have been more effective to strongly discourage me and explain why and then let me make the decision. in that case i probably would have opted to not view the film.

@newy: the curtain comes up after the prayer. get your advanced ticket now. i remember that scene...hilarious and '...nasty hoe..' was definitely the climax of that part.

Promiscuous X said...

I wanna join the festivites LOL. I love playing spill the beans lol

How do you make a sermon about someones wanting to see the movie Boomerang. ( which is a classic lol). I can imagine how that went. A mess LOL

blkbutterfly said...

now that would be a dinner to remember! my mother wasn't strict. more often than not, she'd let us find out things on our own. sometimes i wished she'd just told me no. now i see the method behind her decision.

i read in a magazine that asking for forgiveness later was one way (in the business world) go getters set themselves apart. so, you may be on to something there...

Andriea said...

I grew up in a religious and strict household. I think the majority of young people who were raised like that have found ways to manipulate their way into getting what they wanted. We've all played the role of not knowing. LOL

JayBee said...

@promiscuous: pull up a chair and get comfy. can't say i've seen you up in here before. the whole sermon wasn't about it but it was mentioned as one of those real life examples of how you need to put your foot down and not succumb to society's dwindling moral boundaries. yamean?

@blkbutterfly: hmmm...i didn't know this was applicable to the business world. JayBee, trendsetter extraordinaire.

@msandriea: ordirbs? wine? that's how we do at the realismis! we want you to feel welcome so that you'll return. a fellow oppressed person. i played the role so well.