Saturday, February 10, 2007

The Burgeoning

I've been fascinated by this blogging thing for quite some time. I immediately recognized its therapeutic value. As such, I decided to take part in this journey. I don't know how long I'll be here, but I'll be here as long as I'm led to be.
Here's a little bit about me. I'm a 20 something year old teacher at an at risk (read: low performing) high school. Some of my colleagues call me "JayBee." It's kinda humbling because that's what peeps used to call my grandad. I mean, they don't know that but, it's one of those things that I think about sometimes when they call me that. My mother is one of the strongest women I know and he (the one they say is my father) is on dialysis. I wonder how long it'll be. My favorite color is black (I know it's really a hue, but whatever) and I'm into gadgets. One of the things I look for in a car is how many buttons there are to play with. I enjoy hanging out with friends, a good meal and stimulating conversation. I enjoy my job, but disapprove of some of the people in power, some of the decisions that are made. Everybody has drama on their job. More on that later. I feel like I have to catch everyone up on who I am. I'm including a short list of likes and dislikes. Over time I may publish additional lists, make an addendum to this one or just sort of weave some of my truths into the entries that I publish. Something else that e'erbody should know is that I am a big procrastinator. Flashback to high school. I was always the one who would wait to the night before the big paper was due to start it. To my credit, I'd always get high grades and the teacher would think I'd spent days working diligently writing, revising and proofreading. HA! I always tell people that I work well under pressure. The realism is, I actually don't know how things would turn out if I started in advance because I have so few experiences with which to compare. Some of the truest sayings I've heard: 1. Actions speak louder than words. 2. Time heals all wounds. and one of my personal favorites 3. Obedience is better than sacrifice. I rarely get upset at circumstances/situations because I always think that it could be so much worse. (Even though I was disheartened at WalMart today when they told me they didn't have anymore turkey legs. I mean, I called them before I came and asked them to put me four to the side. No one said, "We can't hold food," or anything like that. I was under the assumption that when I arrived 20 minutes later that my turkey legs would already be packaged. But alas, they were already sold.)


Likes:
  • Breyer's cookies and creme.
  • Brown-skinned to dark skinned girls (not a color complex, just a preference)
  • People who will stand for what's right or say what needs to be said, even when it's unpopular.
  • Learning other people's vernacular. Think back to college or some time when you were around people from all over the US and other countries. The way other people express ideas intrigues me. For example, where I'm from to indicate the degree to which you are interested in doing something we say "pressed". Used in a sentence: "Yo, that dude was pressed to get her numba." This dude I knew from Jersey always said 'beat'. Think same sentence except replace pressed with beat.
  • Justified text. This is one of my numerous idiosyncrasies. I simply hate ragged text. If you're not sure what I'm talking about look in any book (or look up at this entry) and see how the text is even on the left and the right. If you use left align, the text is ragged on the right hand side.
Dislikes:
  • Liars.
  • Phony people.
  • Deceit.
  • People who are always late and the lame azz excuses they always have.
  • When you go out to eat there's always someone making a stink about some minuscule detail that made their meal/time just unbearable. If it's so bad, just push it to the side, don't eat it, don't leave a good tip and don't return.
  • People who leave crappy tips. My best friend is a server. I know how much junk they take off people all day. Quick story: This lady left my best friend a $1.00 tip after Kiki had to keep running back and forth to her table for all her whims. Once Kiki discovered the dollar, she raced outside to the parking lot looking for the woman. When she found her in her car she knocked on the window and told her she dropped a dollar. The lady was like, "Oh no, sweetheart, I left that for you." My best friend tells her that she can have it because obviously she (the lady) needs it more than her.
  • People who knock other people without knowing their story. How you gonna sum up someone else's existence, when you don't even know them?

1 comment:

Cadence said...

Hey there, buddy! Great blog. Your personality came directly through your words and even though we have not spoken in a while, it was like I heard your voice and your laughter while reading your postings. I'm sure that all of your visitors will enjoy getting to know you and your crazy self.

Now, on to the more pressing issue. Why the hell hasn't Nancy Grace covered the Sean Bell story?!!? For those of you who don't know, Sean was killed on the eve of his wedding at the hand of New York's "finest"---the NYPD. Shot countless times, but was unarmed. We all know that the cops won't spend a day in jail for this. So, why the hell can't I at least get the satisfaction of watching Nancy tear those bastards apart on her show? Life just isn't fair sometimes.