Monday, February 12, 2007

What Were They Thinking?

How many times are we going to read in the news about couples abusing their kids? Unfortunately this type of behavior has become commonplace. The latest episode stars a couple from north Georgia that has been described as "extremely religious." I wonder what that means. I suppose it means that they adhere to strict codes of conduct with regard to the activities and associations that are and are not allowed. Anyway, the story is in an attempt to punish their eight year old son they beat him and put him inside a box. Apparently the young boy suffocated in the box because when they went to check on him, he and I quote, "...wasn't quite moving." Prior to this this same couple had a practice of having their children go in a closet when they misbehaved. I guess to seem concerned, they had cameras installed in the closet that was used for punishment so that they could monitor their children. To me it is inconceivable that a parent would be so unjust, so cruel to their own flesh and blood.

Fast forward to the trial. Both parents have been cutting the monkey crying in court. They are so sorry because they didn't intend for him to die. How ever true that might be, if you put a kid in a box that wasn't really built with ventilation in mind, (because children don't belong in boxes), you cannot be upset if the kid dies. It is the negligence of the parents that has made this situation manifest itself.

I grew up in a household that was stricter than a lot of my friends' homes. We went to church every Sunday, prayer meeting and Bible study on Wednesday, choir rehearsal on Tuesday and Saturday and did other stuff as necessary for upcoming events and special programs. I was never locked in a box though. (Considering some of the abuse I had to take, locking me in a box is probably lesser of two evils.)

I don't feel very much sympathy for the parents. I know a part of them is hurt because of the loss of the child and the loss of the lives that they once enjoyed. I'm saying loss of the lives that they once enjoyed because they are almost certainly going to jail. They also had other children who probably suffered as well at the hands of their abuse and irrational discipline methods. I read somewhere that one of the motivating factors for the parents placing the youngster in the box was that he was possessed by the devil. I wonder if they'll use the "The Devil Made Me Do It" defense in court.

No comments: