Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Real Life

Don'tcha just love it when people gas you up and then don't come through? When I went to the job fair a couple of weekends ago, everything seemed positive and a go. I had three schools who seemed genuinely interested, but not a one has phoned me to set up an interview. Two told me that they would schedule the interviews during my spring break which is going on now, although I feel like it's already over. I guess I should phone them, but I don't wanna seem beat. I know I need the job and not them, but I'm not accustomed to having to run somebody down.

I know there are a lot of candidates and some might even be more qualified than me. I typed that, but I find it hard to believe given the extra curricular and leadership experiences that I have had at my current school. The realism is that I don't think many people my age have been trusted to do what I have.

A friend of mine told me that she had a prophetic word for me. I thought to myself, oh brother. Here we go. She assured me that someone would contact me by Tuesday to set something up. Believe you me, I didn't believe her and that in no way contributed to me feeling some type of way about them. She must have studied prophecy the same place as Juanita Bynum.(I know I was wrong for that).

Alas, I'ma put in some calls today to try to secure some interviews. This is so different from me. I am accustomed to being pursued after the initial contact rather than having to be the one in hot pursuit. That translates to other facets of my life as well, but that's another post.

I did something nice last night. I went to dinner with some friends. On the way out of the restaurant I saw the hostess looking over some PowerPoint slides. I asked her what she was studying. What do you know? She was studying accounting and one in our party is an accountant at a bank. I introduced them and had them exchange contact information. The friend who is an accountant asked if I even knew that girl. I told her no, but I'm Captain Save-A-Hoe it doesn't matter. She's graduating soon and you already have a job. If there's an opening you all have enough time to get to know each other between now and then so that if she's okay, you can let her use your name as a reference (assuming her name is worth something to the company). I need every one's help. I cannot single handedly uplift my race by myself. Every time you are in a position to refer someone for employment or a good deal or whatever, I implore you to do so.

I almost forgot about my brother. Question: Why did he get my mother* to get him a loan for school and then quit school as soon as the loan came through? Answer: He's a trifling negro, that's why. Meanwhile my mother has to pay for the loan. She asked him what he was planning to do as far as payment and his reply was he hadn't thought about it. He's also planning to move to Jacksonville in May with his wife who is supposed to be going to law school. When I met her at the wedding she didn't seem that smart to me and I'm usually a good read when it comes to stuff like that. I smell smarts like a bee smells honey. (Like my 4th grade analogy?) Anyway, she graduates from college May 10th and they plan to be in Jacksonville to move in on May 12th. Notice I haven't mentioned where he'll work or live because he doesn't know and neither do I. When my sister called me (really to ask me to borrow $$$ - which I gave her the brush off) to ask me how I felt about it I told her that I have hot water and thoroughly enjoy the advantages that electricity provides. If he's willing to move not knowing where he's going to lay his head then let him do him cause umma do me. I could go on and on about this situation but when I think too much about it I just wanna slap a ni-. See, he done almost made me resurrect the word we buried. I'ma let that go.

*You clicked the link didn't you? Get of my momma jock stalker!

19 comments:

Domo El Mono Loco said...

Family is family JayBee, ain't much you can do about that. Like Zazu said in the Lion King "There's one in every family; two in mine!" (like my fourth grade analogy?)

As for the job, don't let the situation stop you, I had to humble myself earlier this year to get what I wanted out of a career, showing desire, passion, and persistence are characteristics that are looked highly upon. Besides we need more educated young, black male teachers in our schools.
good to hear from you

Jazzy said...

With everybody and their momma moving to Atl, you might have to hustle more than usual for the job you want.

LMAO @ that prophetic friend. That is wild and a tad bit creepy!

*sigh* @ your brother. I don't know how old he is, but he just sounds sooooooo young!

Jameil said...

oh but i really can't wait to read the wedding post!! lmao @ I cannot single handedly uplift my race by myself. me either!! i actually had a mentee find me via the blog. i'm glad you're making those phone calls! people w/"prophetic words" make me nervous.

Eb the Celeb said...

lmao @ captain save a hoe

Tabu said...

I loved this....

I cannot single handedly uplift my race by myself.

Truer words were never spoken.

Paula D. said...

Maaan, there's nothing like family! They can make you happy & piss you off 3 minutes later! Hopefully your brother will 'see the light' and pay your mom back some kind of way soon.

BTW, hang on with the job search.

JayBee said...

@domo: Gotta love family. Thanks for the encouragement. I'ma keep pushin' on the job front.

@diva: Maybe that's what it is. I always thought of me as my competition. My little brother's 24going on 15.

@jameil: I'm so turned off when somebody starts a tirade with, "I have a prophetic word/revelation for you."

@eb: I'm still laughing at when you said, "Tell em why you mad son!"

@tabu: Certainly it's true. You did know I was being facetious, right?

@paula: Not related to your comment but you have a pretty smile. If he doesn't see the light, he might get a visit from big brother.

Mizrepresent said...

You are wrong on so many points on the J Bynum, but i hear ya. So sorry that things hadn't yet worked out for you...but your diligence will indeed payoff. No i'm not a SEE-ER, lol, but i do belive that hard works and acts pay off..."Ima do me, you just do you"...alright, yeah u made me click.

One Man’s Opinion said...

You wrong for that. Bynum didn't do nothing to you. Captain Sav-a-Hoe. I didn't know that was you. You're my hero, but for the record; you should never give away your secrete idenity.

In all seriousness, I never knew it was so hard to find a job teaching. They are begging for teachers here. Hell, if I applied for the school system here they'd hire me, but our kids have enough problems as it is.

I know you don't wanna hear this, bro, but just be patient, it will come.

Oh, and I didn't relize your brother ws related to my sister...cause that sounds like some crap my grown ass sister, with three grown ass kids, would pull.

Tabu said...

Yeah I did, but I liked it anyway. :)

dejanae said...

ur brother is sooo wrong for that loan stunt

good luck on the job hunt
and the uplifting ur race thing
Captain-save-a-hoe to the rescue

And you never know
Brother's wifey might be a genius in disguise

CHA CHA said...

Have patience my friend. Things will happen for you. I wish you the best of luck. Your brother was very selfish in what he did....but payback is a mother(no pun intended)

Brittany said...

Yeah your brother wrong for that one.

Joy Akut said...

captain save a hoe? lmao...

you know family is family no matter how cracked up they seem to be. the best way to handle your bro is leave him alone, he'll realise soon enough and hopefully learn from his ignorance/mistake?...whichever.

as for the job? sometimes the things we feel are so well suited for us aint half of what we see it to be.
maybe it aint for you. maybe something better is coming, you've just got to be patient(well patiently agressive if ever there is a word like that..lol) and the right job would find you.

first time on yours and loving it.

mp1 said...

Little brothers....nothing like 'em. My lil bro is my man, but he makes me wonder about him all of the time.

That sucks about the job fair. I'm no prophet, and I'm not even trying to get my Juanit on. So I'll simply say best wishes to ya there.

That's good looking with the friend and the waitress. Am I detecting a potential initiate into the talented tenth?? lol

And you got no love for the Boondocks??

JayBee said...

@tabu: just making sure. captain s-a-h doesn't want any of his fans upset.

@dejanae: if she is, she's doing a helluva job disguising herself.

@still: i'm going to be patient since i know nothing will happen until it's my time.

@brittany: my sentiments exactly. now i just have to find out from him why he did it.

@fantasy: i extend a hearty welcome to ya! when i read your comment i almost broke out in a rousing rendition of "what God has for me". thanks for the prophetic word.

@mp: i'm trying to earn my membership card. got no problem with boondocks...me saying foolish is a good thing. remember when bad really meant good? in other news, i've asked you a question bout ya boy (barak) two times to which you have not batted an eye or responded. what's up with dat?

mp1 said...

I responded the day after you asked the question the second time. I emailed it to you (through the link in your profile (j_dub....)I won't put it all out there for privacy concerns. But I'll post it here for ya.

Hey, what's up man! Thanks for the bday wishes (lol) and the question. I know that you asked me that in an earlier post, but I never really looked into the answer. Now that you've posed that query on two different occasions, I feel compelled to get an answer. I kind of assumed that he was por Affirmative Action based on the color of his skin. With the treasure trove of (mis)information that is the internet,I think that I have found an answer for you. I believe that he is in favor of Affirmative Action, but for Americans who are struggling economically. I checked his website, barackobama.com, but there is no answer there. My guess is that's intentional so as not to bring him any negative press or attenion for supporting it. Check out this article from May 2007 in the Washington Post. It may give you a better answere or force you to look for other sources.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/05/14/AR2007051401233.html

JayBee said...

@mp: i stand corrected. when i read your comment i felt like a lil boy who had said a bad word in school. lol.

cadence said...

You brother needs an azz whoopin! I definitely think that we should stop the hate and help each other out when we can. When you do good things, good thing come back to you.