Monday, March 17, 2008

These High School Students...

I was inspired to write this post by another blogger.

Start story here:
Let's call her Jessica. That's actually her real name, but hey, what are the chances that you know her? This was a student who I had about two years ago. She was a very friendly person. A little too friendly. I don't exactly remember when it happened, but somehow she started calling me "Boo" all the time instead of Mr. LastName. I would always tell her to stop, but most of the time I'd be smirking so my telling her to stop wasn't exactly getting her to stop because it seemed to her that because I would be laughing that I wasn't serious. I can't really say why I would sometimes laugh other than I thought she was being silly and I found it amusing. Somewhere down the line she got comfortable enough to walk up to me during the hallway during the change of classes and hug/touch on me. I'd tell her to stop but she persisted. Sometimes when she'd see me walking in the hallway she'd holler out, "Hey boo," all the way down the freakin' hall. I'd keep walking like I didn't know to whom she was referring, but she'd usually call me out. Other times she'd see me in the hallway and do the father-giving-away-the-bride-arm-lock thing down the hallway. I'd push her away and she'd be more persistent. Sometimes she would just burst into my classroom and say, "Hey boo" and give me a hug. Again, at these times I would tell her to chill.

I tried having a conversation with her about the inappropriateness of her behavior but it didn't go over well because I'm just not good at that kinda stuff. For one I know it's just her being young, but I'm concerned that anyone who doesn't know me might get suspicious and try to start some stuff. (I can hear them dudes who did A-town stomp in the background).

It didn't stop there. She even touched my butt* on occasion. That's when I really got serious and told her that she had to chill for real. Notice though I said "on occasion" so clearly what I was communicating to her was not viewed as being serious. One day while I was busy in my classroom and my students were working,she took out some red thongs from a gift bag and held them up to the window in the door, but not before pressing her breasts up against the window and fogging up the window with her breath. I was completely outdone. Of course, the boys were asking me a million questions and my reply, which didn't address a single one of their inquiries was to get to work. They settled quickly, but the air in the room was different for the rest of that period.

It was at this point that I sought the advice of a male colleague who had dealt with a similar situation. He advised me to write a letter and report it. I didn't want to do that because I didn't really want her to get in trouble, plus I didn't want to have to discuss anything with anyone. Eventually she graduated. I heard she has a baby now.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

What amazes me is how bold and brazen these young girls are these days. We hear in the news how so many male teachers (and more females too) are falling into the trap and make foolish decisions to overstep their boundaries.

Do you realize just how "blessed" you are that things didn't turn out differently? Clearly you could have found yourself in a life changing situation due to some lil hot-tailed young girl. Thank God it turned out the way it did.

Chocl8t

Jazzy said...

You are very lucky.

I don't say that because you did something wrong, but that situation could have went way to the left. Because you didn't acknowledge her advances she could have lied and said something more was going on...especially after her final brazen act in front of witnesses.

I can see why she had it in for you. You're young, handsome and sure of yourself. Something like this is probably going to happen again...next time report it.

Anonymous said...

Damn. She was a brazen little thing wasn't she? Times truly have changed since I was in HS. We had a couple of hot teachers, but I would have never come on to any of them. But you're defintely a good looking dude, so next time around (cause there will be a next time) report that shit to cover yourself. You're obviously a good man, and a good teacher because you were concerned with what would happen to her, but sometimes you have to put you and your career first. That little hussie could have ruined you.

Ladynay said...

And people wonder why teachers are sleeping with the students...

You should be lucky she didn't lie and tell folks you were getting intimate. If it got down to he said she said nobody would believe what you said...

Darn shame

JayBee said...

@chocl8: I'm am thankful that it didn't amount to anything. Hopefully in the future I will be able to be more stern and ward off advances like this.

@diva: I didn't even think about that. Unrequited love (lust) can make you do some crazy stuff and say things that aren't true. You get "sure of yourself" just from reading? Wow.

@gotta: I really hope there won't be a next time, but if there is I will report it just to be on the safe side.

@ladynay: You're so right. I would have lost if it came down to her word against mine. Why is it in these situations the man never gets the benefit of the doubt?

Tabu said...

Wow, you are very lucky.

I think it is much better to be safe than sorry--She needed to be reported.

Wow!

mp1 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mp1 said...

Not trying to snitch, huh??? lol

I doubt if I would've reported her also, but I'm starting to see how daring these students are. What would be the right coa in that situation?? I really wonder

One Man’s Opinion said...

Damn, "boo", what's up with that? You should have nipped that crap in the bud at the very beginning. That can put your career in all kinds of crisis. "These High School Students..," are not as innocent as people would like ot have us believe. And I know Jessica. The girls a little slut. What your back brother. If it was me, I would have slapped her in the mouth and told her momma I did it. But, hey, that's not appropriate either. Sexual Harrassment Student to Teacher...i'm sure it happens alot.

Brittany said...

Man that is really bold. I remember in high school I liked the substitute that used to come in. We called him Coach Fine. lmao
He never really paid attention to my and my friends starting him down in the hallway. We never did anything like what your student did. WOW

Darius T. Williams said...

Wow - I'm kinda glad that turned out okay. But you gotta get a lil' tougher because that could have went a totally different way.

cadence said...

What a tramp! That was very, very scary. I agree with everyone else. Report it if it ever happens again. I heard a cool saying recently: "She'd feel bad, but I'd feel worse". Sometimes, you need not worry about hurting anyone's feelings or getting someone in trouble. We tend to live by the code of the streets in the workplace, which is a common mistake. That "code of the streets" snitching shit does not apply when it comes to the workplace! The streets are the streets and work is work.

JayBee said...

@cadence: i promise the next time i'm gonna report it. of course we know there'll be a next time. damn these good looks!